In the spring of 2012 I signed on to manage online content for ADDO, UCSD’s largest student run art show, which was held over May 29th thru May 31st in Price Center’s East Ballroom. Little did I know that in a matter of a few short weeks my title would be changed from online content editor to “producer” as I got further involved with the organization of the event. This new title that was bestowed upon me required working with a team of about five core members to distribute tasks and make decisions regarding the event.
Along with the events co-producers some of our responsibilities included:
- Weekly meetings regarding event planning
- Meeting with administration regarding our grant and budget
- Creating a budget for expenses
- Booking the event space
- Renting seating
- Purchasing equipment and hiring fabricators for art walls
- Getting insurance for the event
- Organizing with A/V staff
- Handling catering
- Promoting the event
- Handling artist submissions
- Event itinerary and scheduling
- Managing volunteers
- Managing staging of live performance and panel discussions
- Hanging up pieces and properly labeling them
- Creating and distributing pamphlets
- Scheduling pickup times for artists
All of this while working on my own submission to the show titled Transcode.
The event was a huge success and was well visited by students and guests outside of UCSD.
High-Quality video ad:
Interactive virtual tour I created for the space (direct link):